Archives of the Catholic Diocese of TucsonContributor Web Site: http://www.diocesetucson.org/
About | Collections | Contact | Rights & Reproduction
The Archives of the Diocese of Tucson provides information about the history of Arizona and the Southwest, with an emphasis on the Catholic presence and influence on the area.
Our collection includes:
- Sacramental registers (baptism, confirmation, marriage and death)
- Correspondence to and from each Bishop
- Ephemera of parishes within our boundaries and the priests who served there
- Art and artifacts
The Diocese of Tucson was first established as the Vicariate Apostolic of Arizona in 1868, a designation made for missionary regions that are expected to generate enough Catholics to establish a diocese with a resident Bishop. The formal Diocese of Tucson was establish in 1897 and Peter Bourgade became the first Bishop (although he was the Vicar Apostolic for some years before). In 1969, the Diocese of Phoenix broke off from the Diocese of Tucson, taking much of central and northern Arizona under their administration. The Diocese of Tucson now cover 42,707 square miles over nine counties and has 76 parishes. Geographically, it is the fifth largest diocese in the United States
Betty Wittenberg, Archivist
Archives of the Catholic Diocese of Tucson
300 S. Tucson, Blvd.
Tucson, AZ 85716
Rights & ReproductionPlease contact the Archives of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Tucson to order reproductions or inquire about use permissions.