Contributed by Greenlee County Historical Society
Views of Old Morenci and Metcalf
Old Morenci and Metcalf mining townsites were located on the eastern border of Arizona from 1870 - 1984. Morenci was known as "Joy Camp", (named after Captain Miles Joy). In 1882, "Joy Camp" was renamed "Morenci" by William Church, head of the Detroit Copper Company. Metcalf was named after Robert and James Metcalf, two pioneer copper miners.
Through 1932 all mining was underground. Open pit mining began in 1937. The town was completely gone by 1983.
New Morenci is now located where Plantsite was situated. Both old Morenci and Metcalf are now completely engulfed by the open pit.