Contributed by Pueblo Grande Museum
Maricopa Pottery (Connell Collection)
The Connell Collection of Historic Maricopa Pottery consists of pots that were collected by Eliza Ann Connell and her daughter, Caroline, between 1895 and 1907, in Phoenix. According to documents on file at both Pueblo Grande Museum and the Arizona State Museum, Burridge D. Butler purchased the collection from Caroline Connell Smurthwaite for $500, at the urging of Emil Haury, on behalf of the Arizona State Museum in Tucson. The collection was given to the ASM, where it was cataloged, and, at the request of the donor, 173 pieces were transferred to Pueblo Grande Museum in Phoenix. The stated intent of the donor was to have at least part of the collection close to where Maricopa people currently reside. The Connell Collection forms the core of Pueblo Grande’s Maricopa pottery collection.