Browse and Search This Collection
Contributed by Heritage Square Phoenix
This collection consists of legal documents and photographs that express the history of the Silva House located in Phoenix's Block 14, the only remaining residential block from the original Phoenix townsite. Block 14 was conveyed by W. A. Hancock to Margaret A. Richardson on March 26th, 1880 for $80. Divided into 10 separate lots, Block 14 consisted of various businesses and residences.
The Silva House is considered a neoclassical style bungalow and was built in 1900 on lots 2 and 4. The house is named after Alejandro Silva, who purchased the house in 1906 from a Phoenix liquor dealer, A.K.C. Kirchoff. Alejandro Silva was a successful farmer, warehouse owner and rancher who owned the Orange Ranch in Glendale. Although the family used the house as a rental property for approximately 20 years, renting to clerks, bookkeepers and saloon workers, the Silva family resided in the home for approximately 50 years, longer than any other resident. The Silva family owned the house until 1977, when Silva's niece, Frances Miramon, sold the house to the City of Phoenix.