Browse and Search This Collection
Contributed by Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records: State Library of Arizona
The Florence Tribune of Florence, Arizona, was established in 1892 as an Independent weekly by Paul and Eugene Brown, who edited and published the paper with George F. Meek as the business manager. Estelle Lutrell's Newspapers and Periodicals of Arizona 1859-1911 documents three management changes for the paper.
The first came about when Meek was made editor and manager by an unnamed "corporation" in about 1894. Meek had a history in the newspaper business already, editing the Tombstone Epitaph [LCCN: sn82016455] and the Nogales Sunday Herald [LCCN: sn96060770] before arriving at the Florence Tribune. Meek's career in newspapers began as a printer in Tucson and even included work at the San Francisco Examiner [LCCN: sn82006825]. Meek was a member of the Typographical Union for 30 years and ended his life at the Union Printer's Home in Colorado Springs, Colorado, in 1908.
The next change occurred when William F. Cooper (later a judge in the Pima County Superior Court) was installed in the position. This transition ensued when Charles D. Reppy (who would later make a successful bid for the territorial legislature) purchased the Tribune in 1885. Like Meek, Lutrell also lists Charles D. Reppy as connected to the Epitaph from 1880 until 1882. Reppy was the editor that most embodied the spirit of the newspaperman entrenched in the political machine of Arizona.
The Tribune was consolidated with the Arizona Blade [LCCN: sn95060503] in 1902 to form the Arizona Blade and the Florence Tribune [LCCN: sn94050553] which became the Arizona Blade-Tribune [LCCN: sn95060501] in 1908.
Florence Tribune Titles Available on AMP
Years of publication: 1892-1901, Years digitized: 1892-1901