Loren F. Vaughn founded the Duncan Arizonian in 1908. The weekly newspaper covered the happenings around Duncan, Arizona, in the Gila River Valley a few miles from the Arizona-New Mexico border, as well as the surrounding Graham and Greenlee counties and throughout the state of Arizona and southwestern New Mexico. At its initial publication, the paper was eight pages long, “well filled with local news and neat in appearance, and is a credit to the community,” according to the July 5, 1908 issue of the Tombstone Epitaph [LCCN: sn 95060905].
Vaughn, editor and publisher of the paper until 1913, was a prominent figure in the community and held several political offices, including being elected as member of the Arizona State House of Representatives for Maricopa County. Vaughn’s political focus was echoed in the paper, which included a directory of government officials at the national, state and local levels. The newspaper was clear about its political leanings, and its editorial opinions were known for their Democratic stance. During part of its publication, the Arizonian’s front page included the heading “County’s Pioneer Democrat Paper.” It featured advertisements specifically tailored to Democrats, such as one in 1911 that asserted, “If you are a Democrat you need this,” referring to the Democratic Party’s National Monthly magazine. A bundled subscription price of $2.00 was offered for the two publications. The newspaper criticized other Democratic papers for not supporting Democratic policies, such as when the Arizonian criticized the Arizona Democrat [LCCN: sn 96064393] in 1911 for opposing the Democratic constitutional convention’s work “by making a donkey of its editorials in opposing the ratification of that document.”
The Arizonian included community news, the comings and goings of town residents in a “Local and Personal” column, and a church directory. It also covered statewide news, such as the process of Arizona growing from a territory to a state. The paper included snippets of poems, jokes, riddles and quirky facts in between the longer news stories and features in its pages. In 1912, the motto “Duncan the Gate-way to the Gold Fields,” was added to the masthead.
Vaughn continued to own the Arizonian after leaving as editor. The newspaper faced some difficulty in finding a new editor, as noted a column in the August 6, 1913 issue, which was reprinted in other newspapers: “There is a good opening in Duncan for a live, energetic, practical, sober printer, with a little horse sense, to conduct the Duncan Arizonian.” It was briefly managed by Captain O. R. Wald and then edited and published by Robert Hitt Williams. In 1914, the Duncan Arizonian was consolidated with the Clifton, Arizona, Mining Journal [LCCN: sn 94050886].Dates of Publication1908-1915Frequency of PublicationWeeklyPlace of PublicationDuncan, ArizonaLanguageEnglishPermissions and ReuseThe contents of the Arizona Digital Newspaper Program (ADNP) are available to the public by our partners for using in research, teaching, and private study. Please note that U.S. Copyright and intellectual property laws apply to the digital resources made available through this site.