The town was established in 1906 on the Arizona side of the Colorado River and history states that Parker was named for Fort Parker, however, no such military record of a Fort by that name exists. A more likely account ties the name of Parker to William A. Drake who was the General Superintendent and Chief Engineer of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe (AT&SF) Railroad and named the town for his locating engineer, Earl H. Parker, and for a town called Parker nearby. Interestingly, the nearby town seems to be named for a Captain Parker, but no records exist to corroborate who he was, or why he lived there.
Citation: Will C. Barnes, Arizona Place Names (Tucson, AZ: University of Arizona Press, 1988).319.CountyLa Paz CountyStateArizona CountryUnited StatesGeographic Coordinates
Condensed Profile, Los Angeles, Calif. to Fair Grounds, Ariz.; sheet 1 of 2, sheet 2 of 11 plus 11A.
Physical Characteristics of Mathie to Ariz. - Calif. State Line (Parker), Coast Lines; sheet 10 of 11 plus 11A. CPUC Docket No. No.A-37697; witness F. N. Stuppi