Started in 1887 as the African Methodist Episcopal Mission, the Tanner Chapel A.M.E. Church is the oldest African American church in Arizona. It was started by Sister Bell and Reverend H. H. Hawkins and was originally located at 2nd Street and E. Jefferson. In 1899 it was renamed to Tanner Chapel A.M.E. Church after Bishop Benjamin T. Tanner. It was later moved to its present location at 8th Street and E. Jefferson and the church was completed in 1929. It was designated a Phoenix Historic Landmark in 2010. The church still receives provides worship services today.