Originally built in 1919 and named for local mine superintendent Michael J. Curley, the cost of construction was $175,000. It included a basement in addition to the first and second floors with ceiling heights between 12 and 24 feet. Governor Thomas Campbell dedicated the school on January 5, 1920. Additions to the main building were added in later years.
Abandoned for many years after the mines around Ajo began closing, the building was revitalized in the early 2000s and was reopened as apartments in 2007, serving the low-income and art communities of Ajo. The Curley School was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.
City or TownAjoGeographic FeatureCurley SchoolCountyPima CountyStateArizonaCountryUnited StatesGeographic Coordinates